Monday, July 21, 2008

Exercises in Poem-writing

Back in class 8th, we were given some words, using which we had to come up with a poem. The words were: frightened, unknown, fear, dear, hopeless and homeless.
Although we were supposed to do it in pairs, call it true friendship or love for writing poems, I wrote the poem on my own; just added the name of my very good friend at the end (Kush Dhebar).
Unfortunately, I didn't write up the date, so I have no idea which month I wrote the poem, or what day it was back then. But I assure you it was a very fine day that day.


THE DARK LORD

Sometimes he's mere vapour and shadow,
Adopting anyone's body.
That time he's homeless and hopeless,
So dearest amongst his other forms.
Sometimes he has a chalk-white face,
With red eyes, gleaming forever.
Sometimes he has a cadavorous body,
Red eyes and cold voice,
Only that time he has the icey touch
Of his hands, ever different from a fairy.
Powerful though he seems and is,
He failed to kill poor Harry.
Though thwarted thrice & been escaped once, does his rise not,
Ended many's dream (may his body rot)
Feared with his unforgivable curse, with which he
Can destroy an unknown fort.
His name is, though I may flinch when I say,
The Dark Lord, Lord Voldemort.

I really like the random-ness of the poem, in that there is no particular style to which I stick.
By the way, my teacher signed after reading the poem, and guess what - she has written a date! She read my poem on 4/7, which certainly stands for 4th July...when I was in class 8th, that is 2002. So I could have written the poem in the summer holidays.




Also, avid Harry Potter fans would have guessed that the fifth book in the series had not yet been published.

1 comment:

an opinion said...

good job, really.

poets have other things to cater too other than mentioning dates. but because you have written this lovely but sinister poem...she would have wanted to add credibility to it by date-coding it. I mean, a class 8 student so versed in words..:)


Voldemort stands once again, immortalised. way to go POTTER, sarthak has been roped in by the dark lord.